Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Coffee Time at Kopi Luwak

I like coffee and I like it hard. Black cofee with little sugar or no sugar at all. when it comes to good coffee I like it without sugar. However, when it comes to instant coffee, I usually add sugar since the taste without sugar is really just bitter and not good.

I live in Serpong, a small city about 1 hour from Jakarta, Indonesia.These days I like to visit one restaurant in Summarecon Mall Serpong, namely Kopi Luwak just for lunch or dinner. First time I came mainly because they have a special promotion: you can have a free coffee or tea with an order of Indonesian food. They serve good coffee and also quite good food. They also, of course, sell Luwak Coffee, the coffee coming from chivet (An nocturnal animal from forest that eat ripe coffee beans) behind, but considered as the best coffee in the world.

Special Blend with 5% Coffee Luwak
Now talking about their coffee.  It is not instant coffee and you can choose from their special blend (that contains 5% Coffee Luwak' and 95% other coffee), Kalosi Toraja (from Sulawesi Island), Mandheling (from North Sumatra), and Java ( from Java Island of course). I have tried four of them and all of them are very good. So far I like the first one with Cofee Luwak blend the best.

Actually the fist time I did not realized that this coffee has Coffee Luwak in it. The coffee is very good, it is smooth and strong. A sip of hot coffee (you should drink it while it is hot)already heal my longing for good coffee. This restaurant also sells a cup of pure Coffee Luwak at USD 8 only. I haven't tried that but for the brave, you can try and tell me later :-).

Sate Bali


I also find the food quite ok. Usually I just take nasi rames with beef rendang. The beef rendang is good, however sometimes the meat is quite tough and difficult to chew. I think they need to cook it longer to make the beef really tender and melt in the mounth or they should cut the beef across the muscle direction. Anyway, given the food and the very good coffee (it costs only IDR 43,000.- or around USD 5). I think it is the best deal I have so far.


Chivet (or in Indonesia we call it Luwak)
Another food to consider is Sate Bali (Balinese Satay). The satay is made of marinated beef and the it is very tender and it tastes rather sweet. The sauce is spicy just like sambal and I think it is not made of peanut (or just a little peanut in it). It is different from Javanese satay where the sauce main ingredient is peanut. Another drawback fot this place is sometimes the food in their menu already finished, so you need to order another food.

By the way , they also sell roasted coffee beans if you want to make your own coffee at home.

Serpong, 26/12/2012




No comments:

Post a Comment